Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Few Things I Forgot to Mention

We made it to Aqaba, Jordan today by ferry and sure enough our rental car was there waiting with a friendly little man to hand it off. In the 4 hours we've been here I've noticed how ridiculously friendly everyone is. (And while I have noted the friendliness of the people we've encounted living here... I find the opposite is true with many of the tourists we've encountered. Rude rude and rude. To my delight however, all the rude ones haven't been (North) American.) Back to today... we even snuck into the Red Sea for a snorkel before it got dark and within 5 minutes saw 2 eels, 3 lionfish and probably 20 other kinds of fish. Pete got an extra bonus when walked into a sea urchin. We are told we oughtta stick a cigarette butt to the tiny dot of a spine that impaled him. hmmmm.... anyone know anything about sea urchins?

Onto the rest: While I feel I have done a fairly good job at keeping you all posted on our whereabouts and activities, there are a few small details I have left out. I will attribute these shortcomings to my lack of patience with shotty internet connections and my endless struggle with getting the pictures up and running as a result of these stupid connections.

First and foremost, let me clear up a misconception a few of you have called me out on. Pete did not ride a donkey through the pyramids as I sat upon my camel. His ride was more of an Arabian steed if you will, and please also note that I did not yoink the camel from him. I was shoved on it by 2 small boys and we switched halfway through. You will also be happy to know that Pete galloped through the desert of Giza like a madman... as donkey-esque as the horse may have looked to the untrained eye, it was no sissy. The camel did not gallop, was terribly uncomfortable and we both ended up with sadle sores in which we are still recovering from.

One last thought to leave you with. It seems like everywhere we go the local people are extremely interested in where we are from. Now, I don't know if they are truly interested... are faking interest and this is just a conversation starter before they try to take our money... or... if they want to know so when they do try to tak our money they know what to charge us based on where we live and the currency we make back at home. I'm fairly certain it is probably one of the latter options. Getting to my point, in Egypt when they asked us those famous words, when we answered "Canada" the next thing out of their mouth..... "Ah, Canada Dry" and then some variation of words that rhyme with dry, generally related to illegal substances; high, sky, fly. You get the point.

2 comments:

Stefany said...

Thanks for the updates - I love hearing about your travels!! Keep having fun and being safe of course. Love you guys!

The Patriot Scribe said...

Stef:

I know about sea urchins! Growing up in the Philippines, we stepped on many - the best cure. you ask? I wish we heard about the cigarette-butt cure when I was growing up! Instead, all the adult "males" would pee into a bucket and the stung body part would have to stand in this piss-bucket in order to remove the spine!! I think it was the ammonia that made this actually work! What did I learn? Always wear water shoes!!! Hope you're havin' a blast! Tania