Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Deserts, Dunes and Petra


We just finished up a long hot day wandering through the temples and tombs of Petra. It was extremely sweaty and we can hardly recognize our own hands because our fingers are so swollen. Petra was beautiful but it was a huge amount of walking (6 or so miles) with the sun beating down.



We spent last night in a tent at a Bedouin camp called "Sunset Camp" in Wadi Rum (for those of
you interested in googling it). We drove around in a 4x4 all day and saw some pretty neat scenery as we scrambled up rock bridges and red sand dunes. A little old man in tradition desert garb joyfully serenaded us with his one string instrument over dinner around a small campfire with 6 other tra
vellers. Strangely enough there were two American girls about our age working there who were really nice but I'm not sure how they ended up there and didn't get the opportunity to ask... it was just really strange to call the camp up expecting an Arabic accent and have some
one answer back in perfect American English. For most of last night I was wondering what I did to be so lucky to be sitting smack in the middle of a beautiful desert that stretched through Jordan and Saudi Arabia.









our tent in Wadi Rum!

I have another small observation to fill you in on at this point: x-ray machines and metal detectors. Everywhere we go... monuments, temples, ruins, ferry terminals, airports and museums have one or the other or both. Strangley enough, they make you walk through the metal detector, whether or not it is actually plugged in AND they x-ray your bag, even if no one is looking at the TV screen as the objects roll through. Nice attempt at security. lol.

Oh and by the way, Pete's run in with the urchin is fully healed

1 comment:

Beth Haley said...

I love this blog thing you 2 are doing. It's the perfect amount of information and pictures. You're making me jealous as I type this comment in the trailor. Love you!